Monday, November 15, 2010

Extra Credit: UNCW Library Mobile Device Website

I accessed the UNCW Library’s website through the browser on my Blackberry mobile device. I have to say, I am thoroughly impressed! I really like the initial view of the site being 9 same sized icons that then take you further into the site. I think that each specific item chosen to be an icon are the most useful places of the library website for a mobile user and it made navigating through them very simple. The site itself, as well as each individual page loaded quickly and with all of the images; although I only checked it while being connected to a WiFi network. One thing that did not load correctly was the computer availability map. The floor plan of the commons loaded fine and looks really good but all of the computers show up in a vertical row on the left side of the screen; rather than in their specific location on the map. You can still see the number count of available and unavailable computers so it isn't totally useless. I would be interested to see when the Library Catalog section is up and running next semester if everything on that page loads correctly just because of how much information it carries. One thing that I think might be useful under the “floor maps” section, would be a link to a text page that would have a simplified version of the library of congress classification system. This way students can see on the map what part of the library houses which sections of the general collection as well as going further and being able to find out what kinds of subject materials are in each section. I think this would be a great way to help students understand how the library is set up and open their eyes to the fact that you can actually browse library books by subject; I think you would be surprised to find out how many college students are actually unaware of this fact. However I would not label this link “Library of Congress Classification System” because then no one will click on it; something along the lines of “Browse the library’s General Collection by subject” and then on the actual page mention that it is the LCCS. I also think that it would be useful to have a little blurb on the actual library websites page about the mobile device website and have a link available until more of the student population knows that it is out there. I can see the mobile site being overlooked and un-used if people are unaware of its existence. That being said, I think that the mobile website looks great and is extremely useful and all students would benefit from using it. I hope that you all figure out fun ways to spread the word!

No comments:

Post a Comment